Our JK/SK Room has 20 children attending Junior and Senior Kindergarten, cared for by two full-time and one part-time staff.
This is a Best Start program dedicated to the successful integration of childcare and Kindergarten. Programs are planned to:
- Respect each JK/SK child's abilities, needs and strengths
- Encourage the development of positive social skills and problem solving
- Provide an environment rich in opportunities for exploration and experimentation
- Foster a sense of autonomy
- Create a seamless day for Kindergarten children through collaboration, joint program planning and active communication with Kindergarten teachers and administrators.
Sign language is an integral part of our language program. JK/SK children participate in a variety of pre-writing and pre-reading activities throughout the day. A variety of music is offered including an Expressive Movement Specialist whose weekly visits are eagerly anticipated and actively enjoyed by our JK/SK children.
Summer programming includes lots of water play in our splash pools and weekly trips to various venues in and out of town. Some of our spring and summer trips include:
- Bowmanville Zoo
- Brooks Farm
- Little Red Theatre